Clafouti a la Razzcherries®
Created by Lucy Nielson
This version of a French regional recipe is made with Meduri Razzcherries®, but it’s just as delicious with other Meduri fruits like plums, raspberries, apples, peaches, apricots and blueberries. This clafouti puffs up in the oven like a souffle, crisp on the outside and airy in the middle, with a consistency between flan and a thick crepe. As it cools, it becomes more custard-like.
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Meduri World Delights Razzcherries® cut in half
- Warm the milk with 2 tablespoons butter to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs together.
- Add the vanilla, orange zest, 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt.
- Slowly add the warm milk and whisk to blend until smooth.
- Let the batter sit for about 1 hour at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Butter a 10-inch round or oval baking dish with 1 teaspoon of the butter. (Or you can make 6 smaller clafoutis.) Sprinkle the remaining sugar onto the buttered pan, tipping to coat the bottom and sides.
- Pour the batter into the pan, and sprinkle on the fruit. The fruit will sink to the bottom.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, until the clafouti puffs and turns golden.